CAT EXAM 2020
The Common Admission Test (CAT Exam-2020) is the most popular management entrance exam after graduation in India. The test is known for its toughness. Those who crack this test with an excellent score will get a chance to study a PGDM course at the prestigious IIMs.
This test is conducted every year by an IIM (not the one which is recently established usually).
CAT Exam-2020 Overview
On an average of over a decade, every year nearly 200,000 candidates have registered for the exam. The exam score will be accepted across the universities for their MBA/PGDM programs.
|Conducting Body||Established IIM on a rotational basis|
|Exam Frequency||Once in a year|
|Exam Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Question Types||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) and Type in the Answer (TITA)|
|Score Validity||Only a year|
In the following sections, you will know about the exam in detail section by section.
- CAT Exam Importance
- CAT Exam Events & Registration
- CAT Exam Eligibility
- Exam Syllabus
- Exam Test Structure
- Exam Score
- Admissions through CAT
CAT Exam Importance (For Preparing Aspirants-2020)
The Common Admission Test (CAT) exam is an entrance exam for admissions into Master of Business Administration (MBA) or Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) programs. Qualifying in the exam is a prerequisite for the next level of the admission process for most of the MBA/PGDM programs.
The meritorious in this computer-based test will possibly make it to the Indian Institute of Management (IIMs) located across the country. Other than the prestigious IIMs, the renowned institutions like Faculty of Management Studies (FMS), Institute of Management Technology (IMT), S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR), Management Development Institute (MDI) and other prominent B-schools use the CAT score for admissions.
That is why aspiring candidates like you strive hard to make into these modern temples, with an excellent CAT score.
CAT Exam 2020 Registration and Events
|Event Name||Dates (Tentative)|
|Exam Online Registration Commencement Date||5 August 2020|
|Exam Online Registration Closing Date||16 September 2020|
|Exam Admit Card Date||28 October 2020|
|Exam Date||29 November 2020|
|Exam Result Date||First/Second Week of January 2021|
The exam registrations and events tentatively follow the same calendar each year. Because of the Covid pandemic, the Covid-19 pandemic, the exam event dates may vary upon the instructions from the State and the Central governments.
The visitors are advised to take note of such changes from the official site.
CAT Official Website: https://iimcat.ac.in/
CAT Exam Eligibility
To sit for the exam, a candidate must have:
- A Bachelor’s degree with a degree from a recognized university/institute by the government
- Candidate should secure a minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA. For the candidates from the Reservation Category – Schedule Caste (SC), Schedule Tribe (ST), and Differently Abled (DA) – must secure at least 45% of marks.
- Candidates who’re going to appear for their final year exams are also eligible to apply for the test. Provided they submit the proof of passing their Bachelor’s degree exam at the time of admission into the MBA/PGDM programs.
Check out the complete CAT eligibility from the CAT exam official site.
CAT Exam Syllabus
The CAT syllabus comprises the basic concepts up to middle school from Maths and English. Plus, the exam tests the candidates’ aptitude with questions from Logical Reasoning concepts.
Other than that, there isn’t a proper exam syllabus like other national-level entrance exams. A glimpse of the syllabus is:
- CAT Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension: This section mainly tests a candidate’s language skills. It includes reading passages followed by a set of questions, sentence completion, jumbled sentences, etc.
- CAT Quantitative Aptitude: The syllabus for CAT Quant section includes basic maths concepts such as geometry, algebra, modern maths, number system, and so on.
- CAT Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation: This section consists of two parts – Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation. The questions are loosely generic to test a candidate’s logical skills. The questions from Data Interpretation comprise the case lets and graphs.
CAT Exam Structure
Given below is the exam structure. The CAT pattern has been the same for the last two years.
|Question Types||MCQs and TITA|
|Test Time||180 minutes|
|Negative Marking||Yes; -1 mark for each incorrect attempt.|
Check: For the number of questions per section and total sectional marks, see this article/site page.
CAT Exam Score
CAT exam score validity is only for a year. Each IIM will have its own score cut-off or sectional cut-off to filter candidates for the next round of admission process. The score obtained by a candidate is subjected to the normalization before it is converted and published as a percentile. This percentile is used for shortlisting the candidates for the next round of admission process.
Admission through CAT Exam
For admission into the prestigious Postgraduate Programmes (PGP) at IIMs and MBA courses at other institutions/universities, a candidate has to pass the Written Aptitude Test (WAT). Then, he/she has to give their Personal Interview (PI).
At the time of the PI and joining the program, there will be ‘Eligibility Verification’:
- Mark sheets & Degree Certificate: A candidate has to submit original mark sheets along with the photocopies of the same at the time of the PI, in support of their eligibility. And at the time of joining the program, they have to submit the original degree certificate and mark sheets along with the attested copies of the same.
- Reservation and/or Disability Certificate: Those who claim reservation and/or disability (SC, ST, NC-BC, EWS, and PwD) have to show their original certificate and the attested copy at the time of the PI. Plus, they have to submit the original certificate at the time of joining.
- Final year students with a required percentage: The applicants who are in the final year of their graduation have to submit a certificate form available from the exam official site. For complete information about this particular group, check the exam notification for that year.
Some of the top CAT coaching centers are given below
- Carrere lanuncer
- Endeavor careers
- MBA Guru
FAQs (From Students)
1.How many times in a year is the CAT exam conducted?
A:Only once in a year
2.How many times can a candidate sit for the CAT exam in a lifetime?
A: There is no cap on the number of attempts.
3.Are the Overseas Universities/B-schools considering the CAT exam score?
A: No, they do not.
4.I made a mistake during the exam registration. Can I correct them?
A: No, you cannot. Once you ‘Confirm’ your details you cannot edit the personal details such as DOB, email ID, phone number, etc. You have to re-register with a new unique email ID. No refund will be given for the earlier incorrect registration.