Top Medical Colleges in Chennai 2021-2022
In India, Medicine is considered as one of the top and leading courses, In which MBBS is the top course in medical stream. MBBS means Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, with a time duration of 5 and half years anywhere in the country. students have to choose BiPC that is biology, physics and chemistry in intermediate for eligibility for NEET exam and have to pass intermediate to attend the exam. This is the common procedure for the student to follow to get a seat in the Medical college.
Chennai, India has India’s best medical colleges which were established before independence as it was the governing state during the British era. Chennai has some of the top medical colleges of which top fifteen medical colleges in Chennai list is given below
Eligibility and Examination
|Eligibility||Intermediate or +2 with qualified marks in NEET-(National Eligibility cum Entrance Test-UG).|
|Exam pattern||Pen and Paper-based|
|Language||English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Telugu, Oriya, Kannada, and Urdu|
|Question Type||Multiple Choice Questions(MCQ)|
|Qualifying marks||50% for General
45% for General-PH
40% for SC/ST/OBC
40% for SC/ST/OBC-PH
|Correction||4 marks for each correct answer
1 mark will be deducted for each wrong attempt
No marks for unanswered question
Subject Wise Marks:
|Biology (Botany and Zoology)||90||360|
1.Who Is The Best College In Chennai?
Madras Medical College And Government General Hospital is the top medical college from the NIRF list and is one of the oldest medical colleges in India.
2.How Many Medical Colleges Are There In Chennai?
There are 13 government and private medical colleges in Chennai, list of the 13 medical colleges is given below
3.How Many Government Medical Seats Are There In Tamilnadu 2020?
As per The Directorate of Medical Education (DME), Tamil Nadu there are 7,400 MBBS seats available for students in Tamil Nadu.
4.Is 400 A Good Score In Neet?
yes, the minimum score to secure in NEET exam is 350 marks that are 50% of the total marks, getting a seat with 400 marks totally depends on competition and number of students available for seat
5.How Many Marks Are Required In Neet For MBBS?
Minimum marks to secure for students irrespective of the category is more than 50% of the total will keep them in a safe spot for getting a seat in medical colleges
- The Government General Hospital, one of the premier Institutions in the country was started on 16th November 1664 as a small Hospital to treat the sick soldiers of the East India Company. It was the untiring inspired efforts of Sir Edward Winter who was the agent of the company that materialised in the first British Hospital at Madras.
- In its early days the Hospital was housed at Fort St. George and in the next 25 years grew into a formal medical facility. Governor Sir. Elihy Yale was instrumental in the development of the Hospital and gave it new premises within the Fort in 1690.
- The Hospital moved out of the Fort after the Anglo-French War and it took 20 long years before it could settle in the present permanent place in 1772. By the year 1772, the Hospital was training Europeans, Eurasians and natives in allopathic methods of diagnosis and treatment and methods of preparing medicines. This trained personnel were posted to various dispensaries in the district headquarters of the then Madras Presidency to assist the qualified doctors. By 1820 the institution had the recognition as the model hospital of the East India Company. So in 1827, Dr D.Mortimer was appointed as the Superintendent of the Hospital.
- A private medical hall run by Dr Mortimar was regularised as a medical school and it was opened by Sir Fredrick Adams, the then Governor of Madras on 2nd February 1835. The Governor promulgated an order to make the school a state-sponsored one and attached it to the General Hospital.
- In 1842 the Hospital opened its doors to Indians. In the next two decades, the teaching staff had increased, the duration of the course extended and the curriculum was made comprehensive. Senior courses spanning 5 years were started and private people were also admitted for the first time in the institution. In the early part of 1850, the school council submitted proposals to the government to accord the status of a College. The Government granted this request and from 1st October 1850, it became Madras Medical College.
- The first batch of students graduated in 1852 and was granted the Diploma of Graduate of the Madras
- Medical College. In 1857, it gained affiliation to the University of Madras. After the affiliation in 1857, the College moved to be a centre of excellence imparting training in all the specialities in the field of medicine and surgery and it is now one of the premier institutions in the country with undergraduate, postgraduate and super speciality courses.
- The Courses offered by the Madras Medical College are affiliated from 1988 to the “The Tamilnadu Dr MGR Medical University”
MMC NIRF Ratings:
|TLR (100)||RPC (100)||GO (100)||OI (100)||PERCEPTION (100)|
MMC Establishment: 1935
MMC Accreditations: MCI
MMC Affiliated To THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
MMC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
MMC Fee Structure: Rs 14,000
MMC Location: Station, near Park Town, Park Town, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600003, India
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed University) previously known as SRMC & RI (DU), ranked among the top health sciences universities in India, had its origin as Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute which was established by Sri Ramachandra Educational and Health Trust in the year 1985 as a private not-for-profit self-financing institution and dedicated to serving the society as a centre of excellence with emphasis on medical education, research and health care.
- The Trust achieved the task of establishing the Institution as a “Centre of Excellence” under the leadership of Late Shri. N.P.V.Ramasamy Udayar who was the Founder & Managing Trustee of the Trust and also the first Chancellor of the Deemed University. Shri.V.R.Venkatachalam is currently the Chancellor of the Deemed University and is also the Managing Trustee of the Trust. Shri R.V. Sengutuvan is the Pro-Chancellor of the Deemed University.
- Given its academic excellence, the Government of India declared Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute as a Deemed University in September 1994 under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956. As notified by the UGC, the nomenclature of the institution was changed to Sri Ramachandra University in 2006 and reverted to SRMC & RI (DU) from December 2017. Now, as per the Notification dt.08.08.2018 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India, the name of the DU has been changed to “Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University).
- Over three decades, the institute has transformed into a full-fledged Deemed University and at present, with twelve faculties/constituent colleges, viz., Sri Ramachandra Medical College and Research Institute, Faculty of Dental Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Nursing, Faculty of Physiotherapy, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, Faculty of Management, Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, Technology and Research, Faculty of Public Health, Faculty of Sports & Exercise Sciences Faculty of Clinical Research, Faculty of Engineering and Technology, the Deemed University offers 150 UG and PG programs in health care sciences. With a faculty strength of around 950, more than 6,500 students receive teaching and training under them (Faculty: Student ratio 1:7) from the academic year 2019-20.
SRIHER NIRF Ratings:
|TLR (100)||RPC (100)||GO (100)||OI (100)||PERCEPTION (100)|
SRIHER Establishment: 1985
SRIHER Accreditations: MCI, UGC
SRIHER Affiliated To Deemed University
SRIHER Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SRIHER Fee Structure: Rs 22 Lakhs
SRIHER Location: Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research (Deemed to be University), No.1 Ramachandra Nagar Porur, Chennai – 600 116 Tamil Nadu, India.
- SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly known as SRM University) has been consistent to maintain excellence in the academic standards since its inception. Learning is an enjoyable experience here, with experienced faculty, inspiring libraries and stimulating discussion rooms, large playgrounds and state-of-the-art labs. With a view to impart quality education, SRM Institute of Science and Technology (formerly known as SRM University) functions at four campuses
- Kattankulathur Campus also houses the SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Center and SRM Hostel. The SRM hospital could accommodate 1200 in-patients with 25 specializations in PG education in medical science. Round the clock security, ATM, Post Office, departmental stores, restaurants and numerous canteens are some of the facilities available in the campus.
SRMST Establishment: 2005
SRMST Accreditations: MCI
SRMST Affiliated To SRM University, CHENNAI
SRMST Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SRMST Fee Structure: Rs 22.25 Lakhs
SRMST Location: SRM Medical College, SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur, Chennai, Tamilnadu – 603203
- Saveetha medical college and hospital is a constituent college of Saveetha University, a deemed to be university, under section 3 of UGC Act,1956.
- Saveetha medical college and hospital is a National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) ‘A’ grade accredited institution.
- Medical council of India – Recognised by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi, for the award of the degree of MBBS, vide The Gazette of India notification dated 30th April, 201
SMC Establishment: 2008
SMC Accreditations: MCI
SMC Affiliated To: SIMATS, CHENNAI
SMC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SMC Fee Structure: Rs 24.75 Lakhs
SMC Location: Saveetha Medical College, Saveetha Nagar, Thandalam, Chennai 602 105
- Stanley Medical College and Hospitals is one of the oldest and well-known centers in India in the field of medical education. The seed for this institution was sown as early as 1740 when the East India Company first created the medical department. The renowned Stanley Hospital now stands on the old site of the Monegar choultry established in 1780.The College is associated with the well known Government Stanley Hospital which has 1280 beds for in-patient treatment. The hospital has an out-patient attendance of around 5000 patients per day. A unique feature is its 8-story surgical complex equipped to perform up to 40 surgeries simultaneously, a modern 7 story medicine complex and a separate pediatrics block with all specialties under one roof. RSRM hospital is also attached for obstetrics and Gynecology care.
- The three well known departments of the Stanley Medical Hospitals are Surgical Gastroenterology, Urology and the Institute of Hand Rehabilitation and Plastic Surgery. The Institute for Research and Rehabilitation of Hand and the Department of Plastic Surgery (IRRH & DPS) is one of the best centers in Southeast Asia .
- An ICMR Stem Cell and Diagnostic Laboratory ensures a zero infection rate that is critical for a transplant programme and is involved in ongoing research on liver progression cells as a therapeutic option in end stage liver disease. With a medical infrastructure as good as a five-star hospital Stanley has been drawing the middle class people who prefer to pay Rs.5000 for a hepatectomy.
- Today most of the old buildings have been replaced by newer structures in order to cater to the needs of a larger patient population. A rare surviving bit of heritage in a forgotten corner is an obelisk with the Aesculapius insignia raised in Maj. E.W.C. Bradfield’s time to remember 12 doctors who sacrificed their lives in the Great War. What continues unchanged at Stanley are the old traditions of committed service in an institution that today, as in the past, provides affordable healthcare to the underprivileged.
- Alamadhi association of Stanley was started in 1955 to provide free medical services to the needy in the village of Alamathi near Chennai.But due to inadequate funds and travel difficulties,the service was discontinued. By the tireless efforts of students ,medical service was made available from 2008 .The students visit the village every Sunday and render medical service to the villagers.
- Project GREENHANDS was started in the year 2007 in association with isha foundation to grow new trees with the objective of making the city green. More than 1,25,000 trees have been distributed throughout the state through this project.
- With regard to the recent developments in our institutions ,Stanley medical college is one of the first medical colleges in Tamil Nadu to receive 250 MBBS seats ,sanctioned in the year 2013. This institution is savored as a heritage and will continue to impart its finest knowledge to the community in the years to come.
SMC Establishment: 1938
SMC Accreditations: MCI
SMC Affiliated To: THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
SMC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SMC Fee Structure: Rs 13,000
SMC Location: No. 1, Old Jail Rd, George Town, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600001, India
- Sree Balaji Medical College & hospital has made rapid progress towards being recognized as a Medical school with high academic standards delivering quality health care with an emphasis on promoting social responsibility in its students. In keeping with the vision and mission of Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research.Sree Balaji Medical College strives to generate competent and humane professionals empowered to face future challenges with ethical integrity.
- Sree Balaji Medical College & Hospital is a constituent college of Bharath Institute of Higher Education and Research, Declared under section 3 of UGC Act, 1956. It is situated at Chromepet, Chennai. It is approved by the Medical council of India , Ministry of Health and Family welfare, Govt of India, New Delhi. The college is situated in the heart of Chennai City and is close to the Chrompet Railway station, bus stand and Airport.
- Sree Balaji Medical College & Hospital is a private, non profit, self financing medical Institution, pledged to the service of the community, catering to the healthcare needs of the people in general and especially to the needy, underprivileged, suffering section of humanity in particular.
- The College and Hospital complex has been raised in an area of 30.89 acres, ideally located with salubrious surroundings. It is provided with state of art infrastructure in terms of its blocks of buildings, which include state of the art departments, laboratories, classrooms for students, separate quarters for staff and nurses besides equipment of latest technological quality. Highly qualified and experienced staff, well-equipped laboratories, library, modern teaching aids and the hospital with huge patient flow, thus exposing students to various Medical and Surgical conditions are some highlights of the college.
- We strive to offer the best of health care services to the society and train students to develop into highly trained, knowledgeable, research oriented and competent medical personalities and doctors.
SBMCH Establishment: 1956
SBMCH Accreditations: MCI, UGC
SBMCH Affiliated To: BIHER, CHENNAI
SBMCH Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SBMCH Fee Structure: Rs 25.2 Lakhs
SBMCH Location:7 Works, Road, Chromepet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600044, India
- 1925 In response to the feeling of Nationalism and keeping alive the ancient systems of indigenous medicine the school of Indian medicine was started. The degree conferred at this institution was L.I.M.
- In accordance with the recommendations of the Usman Committee, Chopra Committee and the Pundit Committee of Government of Madras and Government of India, the character of the institute was changed, upgraded and named as College of Indian Medicine. The College gave the degree as G.C.I.M
- The College was again renamed as College of Indigenous Medicine and one of the three systems of Indigenous Medicine, Ayurveda-Siddha-Unani, should be chosen by each candidate who joins GCIM and Allopathic Medicine was common to all.
- 1953 The College was renamed as the College of Integrated Medicine. The course was shortened to 4.5 years and one year of compulsory house- surgeoncy on par with the MBBS course. Government ensured that the GCIM graduates could practice both the systems of Medicine. In 1959 the last batch of GCIM students were admitted and in 1960 the College of Indigenous Medicine was closed
- 1960 The Integrated Medicine Course (MBBS DEGREE) was started. The first and second year GCIM students were given the option of joining the MBBS course, while the senior students were offered the D.M&S on completion of the course and bringing them into the Allopathic fold
- The banyan tree which is more than 100 years old is a proud heritage of this college. It occupies the Central portion of the Campus with its wide spreading branches and foliage. All the faculty blocks are situated around this famous banyan tree.
GKMC Establishment: 1960
GKMC Accreditations: MCI
GKMC Affiliated To: THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
GKMC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
GKMC Fee Structure: Rs 20,000
GKMC Location: 822, Poonamallee High Rd, near Ega Theatre, Kilpauk, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600010, India
- Meenakshi Medical College offers one of the most forward-looking educational environments in medicine in the country. Located in Kancheepuram of Tamilnadu, the college is dedicated to training doctors of various branches of medicine as expert clinicians with strong biomedical backgrounds. Meenakshi Medical College is a constituent college of MAHER and recognized by Medical Council of India, New Delhi.
- MAHER University is a multi-campus, multi-disciplinary research university that is accredited by NAAC and is ranked as one of the best academics & research universities in India.
- Since its inception in 2003 by Thirumathi Meenakshi Ammal, a Philanthropist. Meenakshi Medical College has been committed to excellence in education, research, patient care, and community service. It is a constituent of Meenakshi University, from 2004 – 2005. At Meenakshi Medical College, research and teaching are complementary, producing professionals who possess the analytical capacity and the spirit of inquiry to deal with an ever-increasing knowledge base and rapid technological changes.
- By treating patients in the college’s teaching clinics, Meenakshi Medical college students understand not just how to apply science to practice, but how to employ compassion in the treatment of human illness.
- Under the leadership of Mr. A.N Radhakrishnan Chancellor-Meenakshi University, Meenakshi Medical College continues to move into the twenty-first century. With a faculty of dedicated clinicians and researchers of which many have earned solid reputations as experts in their fields. The Medical school offers a full spectrum of undergraduate and postgraduate specialty programs in various descriptions.
MAHER Establishment: 2004
MAHER Accreditations: MCI
MAHER Affiliated To: THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
MAHER Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
MAHER Fee Structure: Rs 22.5 Lakhs
MAHER Location: Meenakshi Medical College Hospital & Research Institute, Enathur,Karrapettai Post, Kanchipuram-631 552. Tamilnadu , India .
- An Educational Trust in the name and style of Sri Muthukumaran Educational Trust, Chennai was formed in the year 1984 with the main aim of providing education in the rural areas in the field of schools, Arts & science and Technical Education/Dental Education/ Medical Education.
- To fulfil the above aims and objectives, a number of educational Institutions have been established in Kancheepuram district. On the same lines Sri Muthukumaran Medical College Hospital with 300 beds was established in the year 2007 as a prerequisite for establishment of a Medical College.
- The Medical College in the name and style of Sri Muthukumaran Medical College Hospital & Research Institute was established in the year 2009 at Chikkarayapuram, Near Mangadu, Chennai – 69
SMMCHRI Establishment: 2009
SMMCHRI Accreditations: MCI
SMMCHRI Affiliated To: THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
SMMCHRI Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
SMMCHRI Fee Structure: Rs 4 Lakhs
SMMCHRI Location: Chikkarayapuram, Kundrathur Rd, near Mangadu, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600069, India
- The Tamil Nadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University is situated in the Southern part of the City of Chennai (formerly Madras) in the State of Tamil Nadu, South India. It is about 6 Kms from the Chennai International & National Airport and about 12 Kms from the Chennai Central Railway Station.
- It is one of the premier Medical Universities named after the former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, (late) Hon. Dr. M.G.Ramachandran (M.G.R) and it is the second largest Health Sciences University in India.
MGRMU Establishment: 1987
MGRMU Accreditations: MCI
MGRMU Affiliated To: State University
MGRMU Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
MGRMU Fee Structure: Rs 9,000
MGRMU Location: 69, Anna Salai, Rd, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600032, India
- The ESIC Medical College & PGIMSR, KK Nagar is built on the backdrop of the prestigious ESI Corporation Hospital, KK Nagar, which has been serving the Insured Patients in Tamil Nadu for more than 3 decades.
- The college has been in operation since 2013. The college has an annual intake of 100 students, with 15% reserved for All India Quota, 20% for wards of Insured Patients and remaining 65% filled through the State Government Quota.
- The college is affiliated to the Tamilnadu Dr. MGR Medical University. The post graduate courses have been offered in the college since 2009 in the specialties of General Medicine, Paediatrics, General Surgery, Anaesthesia and Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Currently, there is the intake of 12 postgraduate students in the specialties of Anaesthesiology, General Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The ESIC Medical College & PGIMSR received full approval of the Medical Council of India this year.
ESIC Establishment: 2011
ESIC Accreditations: MCI
ESIC Affiliated To THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
ESIC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
ESIC Fee Structure: Rs 1.18 Lakhs
ESIC Location: Ashok Pillar Main Rd, K. K. Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600078, India
- Being a developing nation, health and hygiene are mainstays in terms of national priority. With so many people living below the poverty line, statistics reveal that unhealthy living conditions will lead to disease and epidemics, unless a proactive approach by the medical community is put into action. Keeping these in mind, Dr. M.G.R. The University’s Faculty of Medical Sciences was established. Besides imparting necessary medical and technological skills, the university also encourages students to be more active as a student-medical community to improve health conditions in the nation.
- The Faculty of Medical Sciences is an important department in the university and has a huge intake of students each year. The department comes fully equipped with a state-of-the-art laboratory and the department utilizes most modern equipment and technology. The quality of education and infrastructural advantage the university offers is one of the best in the country. The Faculty of Medical Sciences occupies a large area of campus space.
ACS Establishment: 2008
ACS Accreditations: MCI
ACS Affiliated To: DR. M.G.R. EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE, CHENNAI
ACS Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
ACS Fee Structure: Rs 47.4 Lakhs
ACS Location: Poonamallee High Road, Velappanchavadi, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600077, India
- Government Medical College, Omandurar Government Estate is the First Government Medical College in Chennai District after the Colonial British era.
- It looks to the future today with inspiration from its past. People from all strata of society looking up to provide unbiased, affordable and quality healthcare.
- And most important is to provide quality Medical Education to meritorious students from Rural areas.
GMC Establishment: 2015
GMC Accreditations: MCI
GMC Affiliated To THE TAMIL NADU DR. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
GMC Eligibility & Admission: Intermediate With 50% + NEET
GMC Fee Structure: Rs 62,000
GMC Location: Government Medical College Omandurar Govt. Estate, Chennai – 600 002