Why An Internship is Mandatory For All Graduate Students
Is internship necessary?
Back in 2017, it was mandatory that all the engineering students should have an internship, this thought was backed up by the chairman of AICTE ANI D Sahasrabudhe, telling all of them the importance of internship during the regular course.
According to the news report By times of INDIA in 2017, 94% of the students were not eligible for being hired in companies after their graduation, and only 6% of them were Woking, others were actually compromised do jobs which they were not satisfied with. This is happening because the focus of engineering students and their parents is on the scorecard and topping the university or colleges, but very rarely do they concentrate on improving the skills that they are good at.
Internship is a platform to show a child how to develop their potential in a certain subject they are very much fond of, not only that internships also give in to nurturing the skills in a very early stage which will expose them to the real workforce.
Internship is useful for people doing their B-tech and other graduate degrees as well, a way to learn and put it in practice as they in the process of learning, It also helps them to come up with new ideas and new skills in earlier stages itself, which will be an asset for them later in their career. You can go to these people who you worked as an intern for and ask them help regarding your job, ask them for suggestions or when the need be, ask them to recommend you for jobs in a company of your interest.
Secondly, this internship will help you to learn professional behaviour and how to work with people in the office, how to conduct yourself in that environment.
As the All India Council for Technical Education or AICTE pointed out in its Internship policy, “Internships are educational and career development opportunities, providing practical experience in a field or discipline. They are structured, short-term, supervised placements often focused around particular tasks or projects with defined timescales.”
It also added that “An internship may be compensated, non-compensated or some time may be paid. The internship has to be meaningful and mutually beneficial to the intern and the organization. It is important that the objectives and the activities of the internship program are clearly defined and understood.”
Now let us have a look at how the internship is useful in different educational sectors. Some of the educational sectors they provide internships as they join hands with few companies, so with that students get opportunities to do their internship while in the college Also there are time different time frames in which internship can be done, beginning of the semester, middle of the semester during the vacation, at the end of the fourth year.
Let’s look at how it works for people doing their
How to apply for an internship doing a diploma/degree
People doing their diploma usually, have three years of course and then they join the college form 2nd year directly, meanwhile, they can apply for internship and also people doing diploma can use their time during vacations to do their research in the particular stream they are interested in.
Usually, the procedure is that the college has to take a letter from the student for the internship and allot it in different industries, then the industries will hire them depending on the need they have. IF the student has applied individually not having to do anything with the college can apply directly going to the company. On completion of the whole
People in INTERSHAL, Guidelines of AICTE are given to help you
Below is the schedule made for people joining the internship
|1||Summer vacation after 2nd sem||Summer vacation after 2nd sem||3-4 weeks||3-4 weeks||Inter/ Intra Institutional Activities||3-4||3-4|
|2||Summer vacation after 4th sem||Summer vacation after 4th sem||4-6 weeks||4-6 weeks||Industrial/Govt/NGO/MSME/Rural Internship/ Innovation/ Entrepreneurship||4-6||4-6|
|3||Summer vacation after 6th sem||Summer vacation after 6th sem||4-6 weeks||3-4 weeks||Industrial/Govt/NGO/MSME/Rural Internship/ Innovation/ Entrepreneurship||4-6||3-4|
|4||Summer vacation after 8th sem||Summer vacation after 8th sem||3-4 weeks||Project work, Seminar (Excluding credits for Advanced Courses)||3-4|
2.Internship for B-tech students
HRD minister Prakash Javadekar’s recent announcement in the LokSabha that it is now compulsory for engineering students to do at least three internships during college has left many engineering students worried about which internship to do and, more importantly, when.
Here are some tips on how you should go about it
- An internship to acquire soft skills: In the first years of your graduation you will have very less technical skills, so this is the time you can enhance your soft skills while you are in the first year of the college and also helps you in communicating better.
- An internship in fields like management, content writing, or sales: This will help you enhance your communications skills, not only that you will know how to work in teams and, how to deal with the competitive world outside much before you get into a job. An Internship in NGO can help you best.
- An internship to learn the practical applications: In the second and third year, go for an internship which will help your practical work, For instance, if you are interested in programming, then intern with a startup and work on live projects in C/C++, Java, PHP, or web designing. Also, start interacting with experts in your field of interest and be in touch with the team you worked with in the past as they could help you land your third internship. By the end of your second internship, you will get to know whether you want to make a career in that same field or another.
- An internship which can lead to your first job: The experience from your first two internships will help your resume to look great and prepare you for the multiple interview rounds. So, after third year you can apply to internships with the companies you want to work with. Once you get an internship, make sure you concentrate on applying your knowledge and gaining a deeper understanding of the latest technologies and tools. Your third internship will help you land your first job as you might probably get a pre-placement offer before you graduate
3.Internship for Medical students
Every student will be obligated to undergo internship after passing the final MBBS examination to the satisfaction of the College Authorities of Jamia Hamdard for a period of 12 months, only then will the student be eligible for the award of the Degree of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) and full registration. Most of colleges are same.
Most part of the Internship shall be done in the institution from where the student has been signing up for his MBBS studies.
No Intern will be permitted to do an externship in hospitals within the NCR of Delhi.
In case a student desires to do internship from other institutions within India, in any institution/hospital recognized by MCI for the purpose, permission must be taken in prior from the Institute as well as at the beginning of the internship programme. However, permission will be granted by the University at any time considering the merits.
The College shall issue a provisional MBBS pass certificate on passing the final examination.
For the people who did medicine abroad also, internship is mandatory
4.Internship for MBA/PGDM (Postgraduates in diploma in management) students
While most of the academicals programs are theoretical, the internship helps students to get well acquainted with the corporate world and try the concepts that they learnt in business school.
How long does an MBA internship last?
Typically 2-3 months. The duration will depend on whether you are joining a pre-defined internship program or a project that was created for you by the company to heir you as an intern based on their needs. We have seen many MBA students who completed multiple (smaller) internships within the allotted time-frame.
What kind of companies offers MBA internship programs?
Companies MBA graduates offer internships as well. These could be the top names in:
- Management consulting: The companies like McKinsey, Bain, Boston Consulting Group, Deloitte Consulting, Accenture
- Investment banking / Private Equity: In some of the Companies like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Citi, Credit Suisse, Bank of America, Blackstone
- Technology: Companies like Google, Amazon, IBM, eBay, Facebook, Microsoft, Intel.
- FMCG: IN companies like P&G, GE, Nike, Pepsi, Unilever
…and almost any industry you can think of.
What work will I do as a summer intern?
Some examples of MBA internship projects and assignments:
- Finance internship example: Microsoft takes in the interns as finance manager to track and analyse business metrics, creates financial models for evaluating investments. Here’s more on this role.
- Example for Marketing internship: Offers work like Assisting the brand manager internships to work on real brand projects, implementing product launches and working on partnerships with creative teams.
- Consulting internship example: McKinsey offers 8-12 is a week-long internship in management consulting. You’ll get the opportunity to work on client projects and if you do a good job, they’d make a permanent offer.
How do I get an MBA internship?
There are basically two ways to get internships.
- You will have to select from the list of internship opportunities available through the careers team. Many of these tend to be pretty lame. For exciting ones, there might be a competitive process among the interested students.
- It may not occur to you that your dream company will come to offer you the role that you want. In that case, you should yourself be able to reach out to companies that you’d like to work for and try to get a foot in the door.
Are the summer internships graded?
Yes, they are. Though it can be a lot of fun and all that action might give you the feeling that you are back in the real world, it’s still a part of your MBA program. Your internship mentor would be called upon by the MBA school to provide an evaluation of your performance. Apart from this, you may be expected to submit a report or a mini-thesis based on the work you did during the MBA internship period.
5. Internship Abroad
Companies like AIESCE offer internships abroad
AIESEC’s Premium Partners there in different countries and territories around the world. Each partner gives around 10 – 70 opportunities yearly in the global headquarters or countries offices. There are more so above 400 openings available yearly for top candidates across backgrounds. Volunteering in a place completely new is not easy at all, but beating challenges is what makes it worth it. You will learn how to be solution-oriented. Going over what you know opens up new doors for you. Find your values, explore your passions, and become more self-aware
You can gain experience in new cross-cultural settings, prepare yourself with new abilities and add value to your place of work. Our pool of chances growing across fields – we’re sure you’ll find one best fitting your background and experiences. Our partners are dedicated to providing you with an elevating leadership skill sure to put you ahead of your peers, say’s the AIESCE
Four steps to join in
- Sign Up: Create an account on our platform and fill in all the details on your profile.
- Find an internship: Use the filters in our search page and find the opportunities that fit your background and profile and that spark your interest.
- Go through the selection process: After you apply for a project you will be contacted by us and receive information on the selection process.
- Get ready: Once you’re selected, it’s time to pack your bags and prepare all the logistic – don’t worry we’ll be there to help.
There are other platforms like GOABOROAD.COM, GOOVERSEASES.COM, ISEPSTUDYABORAD.COM, THEINTERNGROUP.COM, to help you go abroad and do your internship.
The procedure above for the Diploma and degree students is similar to all branches in Bachelors in technology, Medicine, MBA, If it is Medicine they join as an intern and for the most part of it they are recruited in the year before, and also internship for medical people is part of their course, whereas the other course does not make it mandatory, so the student has to make efforts to do some research in their stream of interests and being to know about it through internship so that they may be efficient by the end of the graduation.
While you are searching for people to hire you through internship, please make sure you follow the steps below
- Take prior permission from the college if you are doing the internship in the middle of course
- Some colleges offer the internship as a part of their academics itself so make sure you make use of it
- As written above follow steps to apply for an internship where you are welcomed and follow the SOP ( Statement of purpose)
A statement for internship has got to persuade those making the decisions that you are the most worthy applicant for a place. That means ensuring that what you write fully reflects what they are looking for. This typically will mean that you have to convince them that:
- Your Application has to show a deep-seated interest in the area of the internship
- You can show that your interests have developed and grown over time
- You have to show that the internship is an important part of your career progression
- Show why you want to do this internship rather than any other
- Show that you have the required skills to contribute