Role Of Engineers In Disaster Management
What is Disaster Management?
When a natural calamity or man-made mishap happens in a large scale disaster management team comes to rescue the people trapped in the calamity. These people are trained persons in disaster management and know-how to rescue and handle situations in difficult times. proper planning and careful execution of technical support can reduce the tangible fall. With a strong engineer team, we can reduce the magnitude of damage and save thousands of lives. Engineers play a major role in this disaster management
Roles of Electrical Engineers
- Looks into the Power control during heavy rainfall which results in floods and ensure to stop the supply in the prevention of shocks
- Ensure electrical poles are constructed efficiently and make sure large trees are cut near HV wires to reduce the damage.
- Electrical motors and generator installation in drought-prone areas are to be taken care of by electrical engineers. To ensure a minimum supply of electricity
- After the disaster, timely restoration of supply as early possible in the areas.
Role of Civil Engineers
- The risk of collapsing of any building can be easily prevented by a strong foundation. A geotechnical engineer is responsible for the construction of such high earthquake-resistant buildings
- The hydraulic engineer gives all the essential information about the various bridges and dams and high-level designs for blocking of flood control and destruction of dams.
- City administrators and project supervisors study the vulnerabilities presenting proper guidelines required for infrastructures to withstand anything.
- Civil engineers make ensure that damaged roads to be constructed immediately
Role of Mechanical Engineers
- The preparation of raw steel used in bridges, tracks, buildings, and types of cement to be used is done by mechanical engineers.
- Mechanical Quality inspectors approve the work of civil engineers at construction sites.
- piping and ductwork are administered by mechanical engineers which are a significant part in the construction of infrastructures.
- Coordinates all other branch engineers in construction.
Opportunities For Graduates Technical And Nontechnical To Be Part Of The Disaster Management Team.
How to Pursue a Career in Disaster Management
After Post Graduation
|Career Path 1||Clear Class XII in any stream||Pursue B.A. / B.Sc. in any field for 3 years.||Pursue M.A/ M.Sc/MBA in Disaster Management for 2 years.||Pursue PhD for 2-3 years in Disaster Management|
|Career Path 2||Clear Class XII in any stream||Pursue B.A. / B.Sc. in any field for 3 years||Pursue P.G Diploma in Disaster Management/ Certification Programs of Disaster Management for 1-2 years|
|TISS-NET||January||General awareness, English proficiency, Maths and Logical reasoning||www.admissions.tiss.edu/view/6/admissions/ma-admissions/tissnet|
Career Opportunities in Disaster Management
- Emergency planning procedures
- Hazards, risks and disasters
- Technological development, environmental and sustainable development
- Law and management fundamentals
- Political, international and social issues
- Roles of key agencies
- Relief coordination and planning
- Field skills
- Disaster theory, statistics and logistics
- Disaster mitigation, preparedness and response
- Earth catastrophes, fire and explosion
- physical, psychological and social reconstruction of disaster-affected communities
- Analyze and prepare for potential risks, such as outbreaks of infections or diseases, technical failure of electrical networks, major gas leaks and severe weather conditions
- Complete risk assessments for a diverse range of sites, such as chemical factories, nuclear factories, city centres and major sporting venues
- Respond to incidents, such as natural disasters, and assess the situation and level of response required
- Work with various agencies to ensure that normal support for local communities continues in the event of an emergency
- Support the restoration of local areas to their pre-incident state
- Impact safety training to staff in local authorities or businesses
- Raise knowledge of public safety issues through attending events, developing information and delivering the special project
The main goal of the Disaster management team is to prevent the damage as early as possible. This team is the saviour of life in difficult times. If you want to join in disaster management can refer to the above details. At the time of calamities, everyone should take part in rescue operations to help each other.